As the year comes to a close, let’s reflect on the 10 most significant accomplishments of Barack Obama in 2010:
1) Taxes. After spending his entire adult life saying that the rich should have to pay a bigger share of taxes (even thought the top 10% of income earners pay more that 70% of all taxes and provide virtually all new jobs), President Obama finished off the year with a compromise agreement, breaking one of his campaign pledges, by extending all the Bush tax cuts from 2001 and 2003, and acknowledging that this will help stimulate the economy. Such leadership!
2) Health Care. Obama and Liberals muscle a national health care plan though Congress promising that it will make healthcare less costly and more available. The opposite occurs as over 100 of the USA’s largest employers say they are dropping giving health care insurance to their employees because of the prohibitively more costly new mandates. He bravely gives them temporary exemptions to the new laws hoping no one will notice.
3) National Defense. Obama and the Democrats negotiate and ratify a brilliant arms control treaty with the Russians by agreeing to reduce our nuclear weapons advantage and getting nothing in return. Brilliant!
4) Financial Reform. After the Democrats and President Clinton’s Justice Department passed laws forcing banks to lend to unworthy borrowers and arranged for them to be guaranteed by Fannie Mae (etc.) and blocking auditing these government created entities until the managed crash right before the 2008 elections, they push legislation through Congress that regulates all financial institutions except the ones that caused the problem.
5) Oil Spill Crisis Management & Leadership. After blocking all foreign help and refusing to allow the affected states to take significant action to contain the spill damage for over two months, the President was able to extort $20 billion from BP to clean up the mess that he blocked others from doing. And he extended the moratorium prohibiting offshore deep water drilling, further crippling our economy
6) Illegal Immigration. Refusing to take serious action to defend our borders from massive illegal immigration and drug smuggling, he heroically sues the state of Arizona for trying to enforce Federal law.
7) Stimulus Spending. This is also known as redistributing the wealth from those that earned it to Obama and the Democrats’ supporters.
8) Government Regulations. What he could not get through Congress, he has had his Czars and government agencies do to make the cost of everything much more expensive.
9) Transparency and Accountability. Obama has tried to block virtually all scrutiny of government action. As Pelosi said, “We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it.”
10) Congress. Obama, Pelosi and Reid, with the above accomplishments managed to make the Democrat Party lose more Congressional seats than any time in our country’s history.
The last was the only positive accomplishment of the Obama administration for the American people. Let’s build on this to make a positive difference in the New Year.
CommentsComments are turned off for this article.