MSNBC host Joy Reid sounded the alarm bells on Saturday when she tweeted that rural Americans pose a “core threat to our democracy” because a large majority of Americans is expected to live in the 15 largest states in 2040.
This is the core threat to our democracy. The rural minority — the people @JYSexton  just wrote a long thread about — have and will continue to have disproportionate power over the urban majority. https://t.co/fzBHaZ9kzR 
— Joy Reid (@JoyAnnReid) November 26, 2017 
Reid’s tweet was in response to a Wall Street Journal column in which author Gerald Seib imagines how population shifts will to a disproportionate representation in the Senate in the future.
“Because of the way the Electoral College works, two of the past three presidents first won office while losing the popular vote. And David Birdsell, dean of the school of public and international affairs at Baruch College, notes that by 2040, about 70 percent of Americans are expected to live in the 15 largest states. They will have only 30 senators representing them, while the remaining 30 percent of Americans will have 70 senators representing them,” Seib wrote.
Reid’s solution is one that many liberals and Democrats have proposed and that is the elimination of the Electoral College which they now consider outdated.
That and the abolition of the Electoral College would be a start.
— Joy Reid (@JoyAnnReid) November 26, 2017