Accuracy in Media

On Wednesday, September 17th, at 10 a.m., the Select Committee on Benghazi will hold its first hearing on Benghazi, and this first meeting will investigate whether the recommendations of the Accountability Review Board have been properly fulfilled. Perhaps America will finally get some answers about the loss of four of its citizens in Libya, including its Ambassador, Chris Stevens. We’ve learned from our allies at the Benghazi Accountability Coalition that the hearing is supposed to be shown live on C-SPAN 3, and if you don’t have that, or it’s pre-empted, you should be able to watch it live on the website of the committee: http://benghazi.house.gov/.

The Select Committee’s increased scrutiny on this issue will likely launch the Benghazi scandal back into the national spotlight—where it belongs. However, Accuracy in Media and the Citizens’ Commission on Benghazi (CCB) has been active in keeping the mainstream media’s attention on Benghazi. AIM has been holding the mainstream media accountable by drawing attention to groundbreaking stories on Benghazi. Two recent stories demand further scrutiny by the Select Committee on Benghazi.

On September 15, Raymond Maxwell, who was placed on administrative leave in the wake of the Benghazi scandal, revealed to The Daily Signal that high-level Clinton staffers may have hidden documents from the Accountability Review Board during their investigation. “Maxwell says when he heard that statement, he couldn’t help but wonder if the ARB—perhaps unknowingly—had received from his bureau a scrubbed set of documents with the most damaging material missing,” reported Sharyl Attkisson, recipient of Accuracy in Media’s Reed Irvine Award for Investigative Journalism for her work at CBS News.

And earlier this month, members of the Annex Security Team—eyewitnesses to the attack—went on Fox News stating that they were told to “stand down” three times, and that the 25-minute delay prevented them from getting to the U.S. Mission compound, then under fire, in time to save Ambassador Chris Stevens and Sean Smith.

Their book reveals that “Bob,” the CIA Benghazi Station Chief, had relied on the February 17 Martyrs brigade in a crisis with Ansar al Sharia before the Benghazi attacks, and that the February 17 Martyrs brigade proved no help in that situation either. It was a harbinger of things to come.

But the media have yielded, as usual, to the liberal propaganda machine—denying the credibility of these stories and claiming that this information doesn’t change the pre-established narrative that there were no “stand down” orders given during the initial Benghazi attack. In a recent article AIM Editor Roger Aronoff outlined how the media believe that the Annex Security Team’s story already been investigated thoroughly. Thus, the media contend that there was no wrongdoing other than bureaucratic missteps. With their head stuck in the sand, the media and those on the left continue to contend that this is just more biased coverage of a phony scandal.

AIM and the CCB have, and will continue, to explore the ramifications of these and other revelations, even if the media continue to refuse to do their job. We encourage the Select Committee on Benghazi to do likewise.




Ready to fight back against media bias?
Join us by donating to AIM today.

Comments

Comments are turned off for this article.