Democratic congressional candidate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez banned the media from attending a series of campaign town halls last week, according to the Queens Chronicle.
“Just wrapped up an amazing community conversation & listening tour stop in Corona, Queens!”
“Guess what: we talked about race, immigration, healthcare, disability rights & housing… and everybody was fine!” she tweeted Sunday.
Just wrapped up an amazing community conversation & listening tour stop in Corona, Queens!
Guess what: we talked about race, immigration, healthcare, disability rights & housing… and everybody was fine! ??
Because we can, in fact, handle tough issues together. https://t.co/f3oCheT1t0 
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@Ocasio2018) August 12, 2018 
Exactly what Ocasio-Cortez said during her “listening tour” and town hall will remain a mystery to those outside the room since the campaign banned the media from both events even though they were open to the public.
According to the Chronicle, Ocasio-Cortez spokesman Corbin Trent said that the event was closed to the press to avoid “unwanted attention,” complaining she was “mobbed” by reporters at a Bronx community meeting earlier that week.
“We wanted to help create a space where community members felt comfortable and open to express themselves without the distraction of cameras and press. These were the first set of events where the press has been excluded,” Trent said, saying the media ban was “an outlier” and not the new norm.
Photo by KerriEvelynHarris