Accuracy in Media

At a conference in September sponsored by Accuracy in Media, members of the Citizens’ Commission on Benghazi speculated about the many reasons that Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) may have for opposing a Select Committee on Benghazi. Republican Representative Frank Wolf (VA) has put forward House Resolution 36, which pushes for a Select Committee to investigate the tragic attacks of last year and get to the bottom of what looks to be a comprehensive government cover-up of this scandal. It currently has 178 cosponsors, as of this writing.

Adding pressure, on Wednesday Republican Representative Devin Nunes (CA) sent a pointed letter (embedded below) to Speaker Boehner asking some questions, and citing what he says are “significant discrepancies between the commonly cited attack timeline and the timeline produced by witnesses on the ground in Benghazi.” He also asks whether the U.S. military or “any other U.S. government agency ever had the opportunity to capture or kill any of the perpetrators, but failed to act due to a lack of authorization from the relevant U.S. political authorities.”

On Fox News Channel’s Special Report on Wednesday, Nunes expressed optimism that a closed-door hearing next week by the House Intelligence Committee, with actual survivors of the Benghazi terrorist attack speaking for the first time, will yield answers that have so far not been forthcoming.

The Associated Press ran a story back in May saying that the U.S. had identified five suspects and could take them by force, but decided not to because the administration didn’t have enough proof to try them in civilian courts. “The U.S. has identified five men who might be responsible for the attack on the diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, last year, and has enough evidence to justify seizing them by military force as suspected terrorists, officials say,” writes the AP. “But there isn’t enough proof to try them in a U.S. civilian court as the Obama administration prefers.”

“The men remain at large while the FBI gathers evidence.”

Under the headline “possible witness intimidation,” Rep. Nunes asks, “Were any officials from the State Department or any other government agency who were in Benghazi during the attack or were involved in any communications about the attack, including anyone located in the continental United States, asked to sign non-disclosure agreements after the attack or asked to undergo polygraph tests?”

“If so, why were these requests made?”

CNN reported in August that members of the CIA were undergoing regular, monthly polygraphs regarding the agency’s missions in Libya. Nunes asked many other questions regarding the non-deployment of FEST, the calls for air support, communications during the attack, and what preparation was needed for the mortar attack on the CIA Annex.

“It is my assumption that the committee will find answers to the remaining questions outlined above,” writes Rep. Nunes. “However, if questions remain unanswered or if some answers differ substantially from the established narrative and timeline of the attack, then it would be warranted to take new messages to complete the investigation and synthesize the information obtained by the Intelligence Committee and other committees investigating the Benghazi attack” (emphasis added). In other words, the current measures might just not be adequate. The “best approach” at that time, he says, would be an independent investigator working under the Speaker’s direction. Nunes, for the record, is not a cosponsor of H Res 36.




Ready to fight back against media bias?
Join us by donating to AIM today.

Comments

Comments are turned off for this article.