According to the new Oriella Digital Journalism Study , journalists who use Twitter are now in the majority. Oriella asked 553 journalists from 15 different countries about their digital habits and found that 59 percent are now using Twitter, compared to 47 percent one year ago.
While Twitter has risen, the use of personal blogs has decreased from 41 percent to 34 percent, putting it barely ahead of another social media platform, Google Plus, which held steady at 28 percent.
The study found that the usage of Twitter is highest in the UK, France, Spain, Australia and the U.S., while blogging is more popular in China, with 64 percent of journalists using that platform. Blogging is harder for the government to shut down en masse.
While the use of YouTube grew slightly from last year, it was surpassed by the photo-sharing site Instagram, which was purchased by Facebook for $1 billion in 2012. Because of Instagram’s ease of use, it could easily become, among journalists, almost as widely used as Twitter.
Even though journalists are rapidly adapting to a new media world, 61 percent still consider themselves as print journalists, with the remaining 39 percent labeling themselves as “digital first.”
As time goes on, I expect that digital number to increase dramatically.
It isn’t easy being a journalist—especially in the U.S.—but those who don’t adapt to social media will get left behind in very short order.