Accuracy in Media

July 20th will be the eighth anniversary of the death of Deputy White House Counsel Vincent W. Foster, Jr. For eight years nearly all our media have refused to examine the evidence in this case. They accepted the finding by the U.S. Park Police that Foster had driven to Fort Marcy Park, where he shot himself with what the Park Police evidence officer described as “a piece of junk.” He was referring to a black .38 Colt Army Special, made of parts of two guns made in 1913 that had rust spots and a grip with a piece missing.

None of Foster’s relatives would say that it belonged to Foster. A nephew familiar with the guns left to Foster by his father said it was not a gun his grandfather would have owned. The FBI agents who worked on the Foster investigations finally got his widow to say that this old black gun looked similar to the modern silver revolver that she had brought to Washington. With that, Robert Fiske and Kenneth Starr referred to it in their reports as “Foster’s gun.” Fiske’s report never mentioned that one gun was black and the other was silver.

Starr’s report was more devious. It says that Mrs. Foster recalled that the gun she brought from Little Rock was “silver colored,” but instead of saying that the gun in Foster’s hand was black, an indisputable fact, it says, “There are discrepancies in the description of the color.” It requires careful study of the text and two footnotes to learn that the color was black. The authors of the report recognized that the suicide theory was doomed if the gun was not Foster’s. Their deception was exposed in the Knowlton-Clarke critique that was ordered appended to Starr’s report by the three judges that appointed him, but the media ignored that.

The Park Police announced the suicide finding in August 1993. They didn’t release a report until June 30, 1994, the same time the Fiske report was released. By then, reporters had been calling the death a suicide for nearly a year. They were comfortable with that and contemptuous of anyone who disagreed. They have grown accustomed to dismissing evidence found by independent investigators. They have no idea how much evidence of a government-directed cover-up is now available.

  • The gun in Foster’s hand was not his.

  • The medical examiner who performed the autopsy claimed he didn’t take x-rays because the machine wasn’t working, but service records show that was false.

  • X-rays were taken, but they vanished. Why?

  • The 1″ x 1-1/4″ exit wound in the skull described in the autopsy report was neither seen nor felt by the officer who tried to find one. He reported there was no exit wound.

  • Fiske’s pathologists changed the entrance wound described in the autopsy report from the back of the throat to the soft palate to provide a credible trajectory for the bullet in the skull.

  • The suicide theory is totally demolished by the eyewitness testimony that Foster’s car was not in the Fort Marcy parking lot until ten minutes before his body was found by a police officer and rescue workers.

Of the 12 or 13 people known to have been in the parking lot between 4:25 and 6:00 p.m. only five have told the authorities what they were doing there and what they saw.

The first was Patrick Knowlton, who saw only two cars there at 4:25 p.m. One had Arkansas license plates, but it was not Foster’s light gray 1989 Honda Accord. It was a rust-brown mid-80s Honda Accord. He was very clear about what he saw, and very upset when he learned that the FBI had misreported some important things he told them. He rejected FBI efforts to get him to change his story.

His story was confirmed by a couple who arrived 45 minutes later and saw the same car in the same spot. They also saw two men, one in the car and the other standing by it. The car and the men were still there at 5:30 when the couple went into the woods. When the rescue workers arrived at 6:10 p.m. the couple was escorted to the parking lot where Foster’s light gray Honda had replaced the brown car. What they told the Park Police was so damaging to the suicide theory that the police reported that they had seen two other cars, one of them Foster’s. When interviewed by the FBI, the couple said that was false.

Jeanne Slade was the first person to see a light gray car in the parking lot. She was there briefly at about 6:00 p.m., looking for a phone. Foster’s car had been delivered in the nick of time. The three eyewitnesses who say Foster’s car was not there, prove that Foster did not die there. Fiske and Starr ignored and distorted their powerful evidence, because they couldn’t refute it.

Ready to fight back against media bias?
Join us by donating to AIM today.


Comments are turned off for this article.