Politico called President Donald Trump’s plan for border spending a “raid” and “cash grab,” from the Defense Department, leaving out that the U.S. Supreme Court had previously ruled in the president’s favor to allow Pentagon spending to occur to protect the U.S. border.
“The Trump administration is carrying out plans to raid $3.6 billion in military construction projects to build the border wall, further inflaming lawmakers who have accused President Donald Trump of illegally overriding Congress’ spending decisions,” Politico reported. “Defense Secretary Mark Esper informed congressional leaders on Tuesday of the cash grab from a total of 127 military projects. Roughly half the money will come from funds previously dedicated to upgrading military bases abroad and the other half in the United States.”
Politico’s Jennifer Scholtes, Sarah Ferris and Jacqueline Feldscher used some form of the word “raid” six times in their article when describing the Trump administration’s approach to the border, which is in addition to the funds President Trump designated after he had declared a national emergency at the border earlier this year.
“Defense officials said they also hope Congress will appropriate more money to backfill the military construction projects that get cut,” Politico wrote. ‘The way we’re describing it is deferred. They’re definitely not canceled,’ McCusker said of the military construction projects being raided.”
The Washington Examiner’s Melissa Quinn and Caitlin Yilek gave additional context about the Supreme Court ruling earlier this year that Politico failed to mention.
“The Supreme Court handed President Trump a major victory by ruling his administration could move ahead with its plan to use $2.5 billion in Defense Department funds for construction of a border wall along the U.S.-Mexico border,” they wrote. “The Trump administration asked the Supreme Court this month to intervene in the dispute and argued the lower court’s order ‘frustrates the government’s ability’ to stem the flow of drugs across the U.S.-Mexico border.”
The president understood the implications of the Supreme Court ruling in his favor, celebrating on Twitter:
Wow! Big VICTORY on the Wall. The United States Supreme Court overturns lower court injunction, allows Southern Border Wall to proceed. Big WIN for Border Security and the Rule of Law!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 26, 2019