A long list of mainstream media figures have flip-flopped from saying there wasn’t a border crisis to now changing their tune and saying there is. After spending months falsely asserting that the crisis on our southern border was “manufactured” by President Donald Trump, the mainstream media must be held accountable for misleading the American public.
Earlier this year, as Trump declared a national emergency at the southern border, the mainstream media agreed with Democrats on repeatedly insisting that there is no crisis at the border, claiming it had been manufactured for political reasons by Trump.
A partial list:
· CNN’s Jim Acosta: “No sign of the national emergency that the president has been talking about… pretty tranquil down here.”
· CNN’s Chris Cuomo: “Here’s a matter of fact. There is no invasion, crisis, at the border.”
· CNN’s Brian Stelter: “Trump wants a PR victory. He wants to give his Fox friends something to celebrate. And as a result, we’re all talking about the border. A manufactured crisis.”
· MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough: “an imaginary border crisis.”
· MSNBC’s Stephanie Ruhle: “There is not a border crisis, this is manufactured.”
· MSNBC’s Brian Williams: “The President tries to sell a crisis that the facts tell us does not exist.”
· MSNBC’s Nicolle Wallace called it a “fake crisis” and a “big scam”. “There is not a crisis,” Wallace said.
· MSNBC’s Willie Geist: “Let’s be as clear as we possibly can be, there is no national security crisis at the border.”
· MSNBC’s Jacob Soboroff: “There is no crisis on the border, that’s the most simple way to put this.”
· The New York Times’ Patrick Healy: “Right, it’s a manufactured crisis, what’s going on at the border… he is sort of knowingly manufacturing a crisis just to create a big political message…”
· The Washington Post Editorial Board: “Trump’s make-believe crisis is untethered from truth and reality”
Months later, as Democrats have finally realized the depth of the crisis at the southern border, many mainstream media figures are now confirming what President Trump has said from the beginning.
· CNN’s Chris Cuomo: “This migrant situation is called a ‘crisis,’ but that word is overused. It doesn’t do the situation justice.”
· CNN’s Don Lemon: “For anybody who doesn’t think that immigration is a crisis, I got to show you this picture.”
· CNN’s Anderson Cooper: “There is breaking news tonight, action in Congress on the humanitarian crisis on the border…”
· CNN’s Wolf Blitzer: “We’re following breaking news on the crisis at the border.”
· MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough earlier this month described the situation at the border as a “crisis”.
· MSNBC’s Chuck Todd: “This is a problem. This is a crisis that we are in the midst of.”
· MSNBC’s Brian Williams: “…[T]his President is facing a crisis on the border.”
· The New York Times Editorial Board: “[A]s record numbers of Central American families flee violence and poverty in their homelands, they are overwhelming United States border systems, fueling a humanitarian crisis of overcrowding, disease and chaos.”
· The Washington Post: “More than a third of Americans say that illegal immigration at the U.S.-Mexico border is at a ‘crisis,’ up 11 percentage points since January as Democrats have grown sharply more concerned about the issue, according to a Washington Post-ABC News poll.”