Bias against Second Amendment rights came through in a story in the Chicago Tribune on the death of a man who was shot by his intended victim.
“Man paralyzed by concealed carry holder in 2017 dies from injuries, police say,” read the headline on William Lee’s piece in the Tribune.
“A south-suburban quadriplegic who died at a suburban hospital over the weekend succumbed to injuries he suffered in 2017, when he was shot and paralyzed by a concealed carry permit holder in the city’s Calumet Heights neighborhood on the South Side, authorities said,” read the lead.
The next paragraph offers details on the many who died but saves a key detail for later in the story.
“Brian Ford, 20, was pronounced dead Saturday at Ingalls Memorial Hospital in Harvey, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office. An autopsy performed Wednesday showed that Ford died from a gunshot wound to the neck, along with complications of quadriplegia, according to the agency.”
Only in the next paragraph does the Tribune report how Ford came to be shot. His injury, Lee wrote, “stemmed from a Dec. 12, 2017, shooting that began with the then 18-year-old pulling his gun on a 27-year-old man driving his vehicle into a rear yard in the 9100 block of South Harper Avenue, according to Chicago police.
“The older man, a concealed carry holder, pulled his own firearm and shot the victim, police said. Ford was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn for treatment and was later charged with felony aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and misdemeanor aggravated assault. But the case against Ford was dropped by Cook County prosecutors nine days after the first court hearing.”
According to the Gun Violence Archive, the gun Ford pointed at the victim had been used in other crimes. It characterized him as an “armed robber” and said the “Stand Your Ground/Castle Doctrine” had been “established.” In other words, concealed carry worked – a man prevented a late-night robbery in his own backyard with a weapon.