Accuracy in Media

President Trump says the media makes up stories about him, and many Americans agree.

A poll released Wednesday by Politico and Morning Consult found 46 percent of voters believe the news media fabricate stories about President Trump and his administration, and just 37 percent do not.

The split is largely along party lines. More than three-quarters of Republican voters said they think the news media invents stories about Trump, compared to 11 percent who did not think so. And 85 percent of strong Trump supporters believed it.

Among Democrats, just one in five think the media invents stories about Trump, and 65 percent do not. Among independents, the figures are 44 percent who do believe the media makes up stories on Trump, and 31 percent do not.

The president has made a practice of calling out stories he thought to be untrue and even called for a crackdown on media outlets that continuously lied.

Trump told radio host Chris Plante he is stunned by the continued onslaught of dishonesty, according to an article from Politico.

“Dishonesty in the media is one of the things that surprised me the most,” Trump said. “I thought after I won, the media would become much more stable and much more honest. They’ve gone crazy. CNN is a joke. NBC is a total joke. You watch what they report, it bears no relationship to what I’m doing. But the media is absolutely dishonest – and frankly, I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Later, he followed with a contribution from his favorite medium, the tweet: “So much Fake News being put in dying magazines and newspapers,” the president wrote. “Only place worse may be @NBCNews, @CBSNews, @ABC and @CNN. Fiction writers!”

Americans increasingly join Trump their feelings about fake news, but they do not support his talk of punishing media entities. Only 28 percent said they think government should have the power to revoke broadcast licenses of major news organizations believed to be producing fake news. Fifty-one percent disagreed, including 68 percent of Democrats and more than a third of Republicans.

The poll had other indications Americans are starting to warm up to the president. His job approval rating climbed to 44 percent in the new survey, up two points from the previous week. Still, 51 percent disapprove, down from 53 the previous week.

Among Republicans, 51 percent now say Congress supports the president’s agenda, and 35 percent say it does not.

“Voters, particularly Trump supporters, have become disenchanted with the national media,” the story quotes Kyle Dropp, chief research officer and co-founder of Morning Consult, as saying. “Even 20 percent of Democrats think that the national media fabricate stories on President Trump and his administration. That being said, many are still not willing to let the federal government censor the media.”





Ready to fight back against media bias?
Join us by donating to AIM today.

Comments

  • AndRebecca

    The MSM has slanted to the left since at least the 1960s. I guess with all the brainwashing since then, no one can tell anymore that the “news” has become fake.

  • mioahu

    only 46% ? what’s wrong with the other 54% ? Ah, yes, 30% don’t care and don’t have any clue and the rest are brainwashed leftists